The University Grants Commission (UGC) which came into existence in 1953, will soon become a matter of past. With an aim to simplify and consolidate the education system, the Central Government has proposed to dissolve UGC. It will be replaced by Higher Education Commission of India (HECI). "In a landmark decision, a draft Act for the repeal of UGC and setting up of HECI has been prepared," HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar tweeted. The draft bill is open for public comments and suggestions till 7 July. HRD Minister further added that the transformation in higher education is based upon the principles of Minimum government and Maximum governance, separation of grant functions, end of inspection raj and focus on academic quality. The move to scrap UGC has generated a lot of debate. Apart from political parties, many academicians and intellectuals have voiced their concern. Now in the wake of this debate do you agree with the idea of scrapping University Grants Commission?
Comments / Discussion Board - Do you support the central government proposal to scrap University Grants Commission ?
- Do you think IAF strike will help BJP in Lok Sabha elections ?
- Do you think Rahul Gandhi has finally emerged as a true leader?
- Will Virat Kohli surpass the various records of Sachin Tendulkar?
- Will BJP make a comeback to power in poll bound states of Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, and Madhya Pradesh?
- Can India trust Imran Khan as Pakistan New Prime Minister?
- Is Rahul Gandhi ready to lead the nation as Prime Minister?
- Do you support the central government proposal to scrap University Grants Commission ?
- Do you support Aam Aadmi Party's demand for full statehood to Delhi?
- Is it a good idea to hold Lok Sabha and State Assembly elections simultaneously?
- Do you support Arvind Kejriwal's decision to say sorry to end defamation cases against him?